Monday, April 21, 2008

Mexican-Style Bean Salad

In order to get the boy to eat more veggies, I've been making serving sized veggie bags/cups/things for him to bring in his lunch every day. First week I just made assorted raw veggies and included cups of horseradish hummus. Last week I made an Asian coleslaw. This week I made a Mexican-style Bean Salad, inspired after another invention of mine (a black bean, avocado, tomato, corn salad thing. I'm sure it'll turn up on here this summer). It was really quick and easy but is pretty and colorful with a variety of tastes and textures. This is a rare onion sighting in my cooking. The boy does love his onions, and this was for him, so there they are. I made this mild, but you certainly could kick up the heat easily enough!


Mexican-Style Bean Salad
1 small red onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 cup diced radishes*
2 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob, raw
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
Juice and Zest of 1 lime
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. Toss the veggies together in a large bowl. Whisk everything else but the salt and pepper together in a small bowl and toss with the veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste.



*I used Daikon because that's what I had. Jicama would be a good alternate, but I wanted the rest of it to snack on in class :P

No comments: