Monday, August 17, 2009

Cold Sesame Noodles

This entry started as a part of the potstickers entry... but that one just went on and on so I thought I'd give it it's own post so one doesn't have to endlessly scroll to get to information on sesame noodles!

I paired the potstickers with cold sesame noodles because have I mentioned the heat thing? Somehow I underestimated the fact that to make cold noodles, you still have to boil water, but now they're in the fridge and I can munch on them chilled as needed. I got the recipe for the noodles off of cooks.com, but then altered it to my liking. I topped it with some julienned cucumber from the garden, and toasted sesame seeds. Scallions also go really well if you've got them around.

For a veggie with this meal (only a veg*n would not consider a meal with cucumbers in noodles and carrots, celery, and mushrooms in potstickers a meal without vegetables!) I made green (and purple and striped) beans sauteed in sesame oil and soy sauce with some toasted sesame seeds. I only sauteed them for a few minutes so they were still crisp and the purple ones held their color a bit. No real recipe there though, just beans sauteed in about 1 tsp each of canola and sesame oil, a clove of minced garlic, a few tbsp of toasted sesame seeds, and a few splashes of soy sauce!


Cold Sesame Noodles
8 oz of Soba or thin whole grain spaghetti noodles
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp brewed black tea
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sweetener of your choice
1/8 tsp garlic powder
Optional:
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 small cucumber, julienned (cut into thin strips)
Scallions, sliced

1. Cook the noodles according to the package directions.

2. While the noodles cook, mix together everything but the optional ingredients. I used my immersion blender, but a whisk and a bowl would work just as well.

3. When the noodles are done cooking, rinse them well under cool water, then toss them with the sauce and any optional ingredients you've chosen. Enjoy chilled!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i ate the leftovers. yummers!