Monday, June 30, 2008

Pina Colada Banana Bread

I love bananas when they're solid yellow with a bit of green at the top. I tolerate them when they are all yellow with a few brown spots. Much beyond there all hope is lost for eating outright and their fate is muffins or quickbread. This weekend I was staring at the brown bananas on the counter, and next to it was a container of coconut and a bottle of coconut extract gifted from a friend. I thought "Hmm... if I just had some pineapple I could make pina colada bread..." so when I grocery shopped a got a can, and this is the result! It definitely has a coconutty flavor, and the little pineapple bits are a nice surprise! This is sort of way adapted from the Veganomicon recipe that merged with my Nana's banana bread recipe that merged with my brain.



Pina Colada Banana Bread

2 large super ripe bananas, well mashed
1 8oz can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 cups flour *
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, pineapple, oil, sugar, and extracts.

3. Stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed.

4. Fold in the coconut.

5. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan, smooth the top, and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


*I used half white whole wheat and half spelt and it's a wee bit dry. I might go with half something white next time to lighten it a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meg, it's Meg. How do you suggest I make pina colada bread sans the banana? I'm allergic to banana, but the idea of pina colada bread sounds too good to not go bake all night for.

let me know if you can, or I'll bug you about it at the potluck :)

Meg