Sunday, June 15, 2008

Vegetable Phyllo Roll

I really enjoy phyllo dough. Once you get used to working with these paper thin sheets of dough, it isn't that scary. I find an olive oil mister is very useful to spray the sheets as I layer them, but a pastry brush and some oil in a bowl will accomplish the same thing.

This recipe works out well around our house because I put in different veggies for the boy and me, he gets the onions, I get the mushrooms. This time I also threw in a small Japanese eggplant, because I had one. The veggies here are flexible, just try to cut them all in the same julienne. A light marinara sauce pairs well for dipping, and they're even good left over, though the dough will lose it's flakiness. When I make these, I like making a few small rolls to put in my lunchboxes for the week. This is another mystery recipe. I wrote it down from somewhere and I don't know where. Yields 4 rolls.



Vegetable Phyllo Rolls
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 cup julienned carrots (about 2 carrots)
1 cup thinly sliced red and/or yellow bell pepper (about 1 medium)
1 cup julienned yellow squash and/or zucchini (one small)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/4 tsp dried tarragon
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dry
salt and pepper to taste
1 box phyllo dough
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp sesame seeds, crushed or run in the food processor a bit + extra whole ones for sprinkling
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
Olive oil as needed for moistening phyllo

1. Sautee the onions over medium heat until soft. Add the carrots, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the peppers and squash, cover and cook another minute. Add the mushrooms, tarragon, and basil, and cook until the mushrooms cook down. Drain any excess liquid off the veggies, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

2. Combine the bread crumbs, garlic, and 2 tbsp of crushed or otherwise broken up sesame seeds

3. Assemble the rolls by laying out 3 sheets of phyllo dough, lightly mist or brush with oil, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and repeat 3 times so you have a total of 12 sheets of phyllo layered.

4. Spread vegetables evenly on the phyllo within 1 inch of all 4 sides. Fold the long edges in, roll up, and lay seam side down on baking sheet (silpat is great here). Brush or mist with more oil, and sprinkle with whole sesame seeds. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.


No comments: