Monday, August 11, 2008

Another lunch - Bulgur and Grilled Veggies

I haven't been updating, but I swear I've been cooking/eating! I had trouble photographing this as our dinner tonight, but it worked out quite well in a lunch box! This is another meal from the "things I threw together" department. I thought it was quite yummy, but the boy was less than thrilled with the dried fruit in the bulgur. He's not a big fan of sweet-in-savory. I think it offset the salty/savory veggies well, and it was a snap to put together!

The veggies there isn't really a recipe for. I marinated the tofu in some hoisin sauce thinned with some soy sauce and just a splash of sesame oil. The veggies got a spraying of olive oil, and salt, pepper and garlic powder, and the rest of the tofu marinade. I grilled them on a cast iron grill pan set under the broiler until the veggies were tender and browned. I grilled up some crookneck squash and zucchini, Japanese eggplant, crimini mushrooms, red bell peppers, and some snap peas from the garden (because I have them coming out my ears!). So that went into my lunch box with some of the fruited bulgur, some melon, strawberries and local blueberries (so delicious and fat!), and two Trail Mix cookies that I baked over the weekend. (I'll have to post a recipe for that sometime too!)

Fruited Bulgur
1 1/3 cups apple juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup bulgur wheat
6 dried apricots, diced
2 heaping tbsp chopped dates
1/2 cup unsalted roasted cashews, chopped
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 carrot, grated


1. In a medium pot, heat the apple juice and salt to boiling. Turn off the heat and add the bulgur. Stir, let sit, covered, for 20-30 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork.

2. Add everything else and toss well to distribute.

1 comment:

Erin said...

That's a tasty looking lunch!