Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I made 'em extra sloppy

And really, I'm an extra sloppy blogger, aren't I? Well, at least it won't be hard for me to improve.

This past weekend was the Vegan Post-Easter No-Egg-Straviganza Potluck at my house. The food and company were both fantastic. I should have taken more food pics, but I was so busy getting food ready on Saturday that I just didn't. I took off from cooking yesterday, and we had plenty of leftovers anyway, but now I'm back, chained to the stove.

Tonight for dinner I made a slightly altered version of Snobby Joes from Veganomicon, and sweet potato oven fries, and had leftover barley with grilled veggies that I made too much of on Saturday. Now that I've realized that it wasn't the lentils that made me sick when I used to eat lentils, but the fact that people always cook them with ONIONS and onions just don't work for me, I actually really like them. They're quick and easy to cook and make a good ground meat replacer among other things. Of course this recipe also called for onions, hence the alterations I made. I still think it's quite delicious in the end!


Lentil "Snobby" Joes - Megatarian Style
1 cup uncooked/dry green lentils
4 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 rib of celery, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp of salt, or to taste
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp prepared brown mustard
4-6 rolls -- I use whole wheat

1. Combine the lentils and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Drain off any excess water, set aside.

2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and add the peppers, carrots, and celery and cook until they're soft; about 10 minutes.

3. Add the garlic, spices, lentils, and tomato things and stir to combine. I also add about 1 cup of water here if it seems too thick because I like my Joes saucy, not pasty, but you can make that decision for yourself.

4. Cook for another 10 minutes, then turn off the heat, add the syrup and mustard and mix well, then allow to sit for 10 minutes or so to let the flavors combine. Serve on rolls.

Sweet Potato Oven Fries

... this is really more of a method than a recipe. I allow 1 potato per person. Wash, peel, and cut the sweet potato into chunky french fry size. Toss with a bit of olive oil and salt, lay on a greased baking sheet (or ungreased silpat) in one layer, and bake in a preheated 425 oven for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft inside and starting to brown outside. (Time will depend on how big you cut them)

No comments: