I am so happy it's summer again because that means I can eat tons and tons of fresh fruit, including one of my personal favorites, blueberries. Often times they're buy one pint get one pint free, and that means I get to BOTH eat them AND bake with time! Double win! Lately it's been blueberry lemon muffins. They are really delicious. They're very moist and tender with a nice citrus zing without being tart. I've given them away to several friends with rave reviews! I've also swapped out the blueberries for peaches, and cut out the lemon zest and juice and make peach muffins, which were equally delicious, so if you have another fruit you'd prefer, stick them in instead!
Makes 24 Muffins
3 cups white whole wheat flour
3/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups white sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup plain or vanilla soy yogurt
2/3 cup rice milk
Zest and juice of one lemon (not mixed together)
2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and put cupcake papers in 24 muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and lemon zest.
3. In a small bowl, mix the oil, applesauce, milk, yogurt, and lemon juice.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Fold in the blueberries.
5. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean