Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Vegan MoFo Day 17: Snickerdoodles!
Can you believe I was a full blown grown up before I ever had a snickerdoodle?? They weren't part of my Mom's cookie repertoire. We mostly made chocolate chip, chocolate with peanut butter chips, spritz, peanut butter and sugar cookies. I missed a lot of good years when I could have been eating sugar cookies! I love vanilla cookies, and I love cinnamon, so what could be bad? These cookies come out delicious. Very tender and chewy with a crackled cinnamon sugar outside. Never again will I go a holiday season without making a batch of Snickerdoodles!! This recipe is adapted from Betty Crocker's. I wish Betty would come out with a vegan cookbook. Maybe some day...
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup margarine, soft
1/2 cup shortening, soft
1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cream together the margarine, shortening, and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Add the soy yogurt and vanilla and mix until well combined.
3. Mix in the dry ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.
5. Roll about 1 1/2 tbsp of dough into a ball, and roll the ball into the cinnamon sugar. Place the balls on an uncreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until spread, cracked, and very lightly golden. Allow to cool until set, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Does anyone have a favorite cookie he or she would like to see veganized? Or does anyone have an idea for a cookie that doesn't have a recipe? Let me know and I'll see what I can do.