Friday, March 21, 2008

Carrot Cake Cookies

I was trying to think up what cookies should be on my Easter Cookie menu this year. I don't know what a traditional Easter cookie would look like, but I thought rabbits... carrots... carrot cake... carrot cake cookie! So I started searching the internet for a recipe that I could bastardize and I found this one in allrecipes.com. It sounded pretty good, chock full of all sorts of nice carrot cakey things, plus you get so many fruits and veggies, what could be bad? And so, here is my version of...


Carrot Cake Cookies
1/2 cup Earth Balance (or margarine of your choice), softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pureed silken tofu
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drained well
3/4 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium)
1 cup raisins
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray (or use Silpat sheets... but mark my words, if you don't these WILL stick!)

2. Cream together the margarine and sugar in a large bowl. Mix in the tofu, pineapple, carrots and raisins. Then add the dry ingredients, and finally, fold in the pecans.

3. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto your lubed up cookie sheets, then gently flatten a bit.

4. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bottoms become golden brown.

You can eat them just like that, or you can make a bit of cream cheese icing to drizzle over top like I did. I didn't *actually* measure what I used for my icing though, so here's my best approximation.
3 tbsp tofutti cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp silk creamer (you could use any sort of milk you like)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar

1. Whisk together the cream cheese and milk product until smooth. Add the vanilla extract, then whisk in the powdered sugar until it reaches the consistency you desire. Too wet? Add more powdered sugar. Too dry? Add more milk. Drizzle as desired.

No comments: