Monday, March 31, 2008

Peach-Mango Crisp with Ginger-Pecan Topping

I somehow ended up in charge of Sunday dinner again while I was home visiting my parents. Because I had planned a relatively complex dinner, I didn't want to go too crazy with the dessert. My dad is always a big fan of fruit pies but this is sort of an odd time of year for fruit. The apples and pears are dying out and it's not quite time for berries and stone fruits. Also, while easy as pie, they involve making crust and I didn't want to go through the trouble so I decided on a crisp. While I was at the market, I thought peaches and mangoes sounded good, and what goes better with peaches and mangoes than ginger and pecans! Sold. The mangoes and peaches were both slightly underripe because as I said, weird time of year for fruit, so I made a spiced peach nectar syrup to go on them and it worked brilliantly! This recipe actually filled a 10X10 baking dish, and so it would probably fill a 9X13 baking dish equally well, which is, in fact, an awful lot of fruit crisp. Wouldn't hurt to scale it down if you're not cooking Sunday dinner.


Peach-Mango Crisp with Ginger-Pecan Topping

5 peaches, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices *
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
12 oz can of peach nectar
1" piece of ginger, peeled and cut into coins **
2 1" strips of lemon zest
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in about 1 tbsp cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the crisp topping:
1/2 cup margarine, softened
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch each of nutmeg and ground cloves

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

1. Mix your fruits together in a large bowl.

2. In a small saucepan, bring the peach nectar with the fresh ginger, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and lemon zest to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes to infuse the flavors.

3. Remove the ginger and lemon zest from the nectar. Return it to a boil, then whisk in the cornstarch. Simmer for a minute to thicken, remove from heat, stir in the vanilla, then pour over the peaches and mangoes.

4. Pour the peaches and mangoes into a baking dish.

To prepare the topping...
Cut the margarine and flour together until crumbly. Add everything else and mix together with your fingers until well combined. Pour it all over the middle of the fruit, then spread to the sides to cover completely and pat down lightly.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the fruit is tender and bubbley.

I can't decide which picture I like better so I'm posting them both

No comments: