Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tofu Scramble and Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

One of my favorite meals for cleaning out the fridge of all it's random bits of vegetables is Tofu Scramble. A lot of people eat tofu scrambles for breakfast but I'm not a really big breakfast-in-the-morning type person. Breakfast for dinner is definitely more my speed! This meal is fairly simple but full of flavor and texture and a great way to fulfill a ketchup craving.

I use the tofu scramble seasonings and method from Vegan with a Vengeance, but use my own veggie mix. One thing you may notice with my recipes is that they rarely contain onions. Onions make me quite ill so I work around them/sub them out in most recipes. I happen to live with an onion lover, however, so sometimes I find myself cooking with them in big pieces and picking them out, or making them on the side and stirring them into his portion. On the flip side, he's a mushroom hater. Meals made with mushrooms are generally ones I've made for myself and/or friends with other things for the hater. The original recipe called for both onions and mushrooms... hence the mods.

The potato recipe is mine, as much as you can claim a recipe for roasting potatoes. I don't like mushy potatoes (i.e. mashed, baked) unless they're in soup, and I like my potatoes with skins on, thus roasted potatoes and oven fries are two of my favorites.



Tofu Scramble ala Things Left in Megan's Fridge
1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped fine
1 1/2 cups cauliflower, chopped fine
1 small red bell pepper, diced fine
1 carrot, grated
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lbs firm or extra firm tofu
1 tbsp olive oil

2 tsp cumin
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
Juice of 1/2 a lemon

1. In a large pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic, broccoli, cauliflower and pepper and cook for about 8 minutes until it starts to soften.

2. Add the spices (not the yeast or the lemon yet) and 1/4 cup of water and stir to coat everything. Crumble the tofu into the pan. Fold everything to mix it up.

3. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If it's getting too dry, add a bit of water to moisten it back up again. Add the carrots in the last 3 minutes.

4. Add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice and mix it around to make sure everything is evenly distributed. Add more water if needed to make everything come together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

1 lbs Idaho potato(es) [I happened to have one giant potato, but several smaller are fine too]
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees

2. Scrub your potato(es) well. If you are truly opposed to potato skin, peel it (them), but that's where all the nutrition is so you can decide how guilty you feel about getting rid of all those nutrients and fiber. Dice the potato(es) into about 1" dice.

3. Put all the diced potatoes into a large bowl or ziplock bag. Add the olive oil and rosemary and toss to coat evenly.

4. Lay your potatoes out on a baking sheet in one layer. I find a silpat sheet to be very helpful to prevent sticking. Sprinkle with salt as desired.

5. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are toasty brown (flip one to check the bottom) and they're fork tender on the inside.

No comments: